Monday, April 30

Podcast: How to Disappear Completely

Finally, the long-dreaded and much abhorred Biology paper was completed about 6 hours ago. The two hours of answering multiple choice questions made me realize a couple of things. One, that glossaries and indexes are grossly underrated. Two, that 'pseudopod', a term I first came across when introduced to horror fiction podcast, has its roots in biology. This, of course, turned me off for the briefest moment but not before surprising me so much that I chuckled to myself, desk #166, in a hall of 800 students. Biology - I sit here with my small glass of low fat milk and I toast to you: never again, never again.

Anyway, I've recently been hooked on to an audiobook titled "How to Disappear Completely" by Myke Bartlett. Ignore the obvious pop culture reference in the title (I'm not sure if it was intended but English band Radiohead produced a song with the same title in their Kid A album) because this book, aside from being set in the same country, has nothing to do with it. Ignore, also, the promotional cover (left) because there are good reasons to listen to the reading of this book.

I'm only at my fourth chapter now so if the rest of the book turns out to be crap, you can't blame me. I will, however, state my intentions for posting this: Kilbey Salmon and London. Now, I know that this is a work of fiction and that, by default, makes Kilbey (a character of Bartlett's) fictional as well. But you really have to hear Bartlett's voice. Oooh, he sounds like honey melting slowly over the surface of smooth things, he glides and trickles like rich golden drops of goodness. And Kilbey's smooth badboy ruffian character (etched out pretty nicely, actually - well in Chapter 3, anyway) together with this impeccable reading voice has close to done me in. Not to forget, I've a strong predisposition for London settings - the griminess of the city, its expanse and coldness, dirty alleys and danger, junkie fixes and drug dealers and decadence; the architecture and shiny beautiful buildings and the stories behind every stranger's every look. These aren't terribly good reasons, I know, but there's something about the city.. an alluring mix of romanticism juxtaposed with harsh reality that one rarely comes across. Yes, I've an extremely soft spot for London. That being said, I really don't know if I'm hooked onto this podiobook because it's well-written although a case can be made for that - it certainly is gripping, it moves at a good pace, I suppose (only because I'm no expert on this) fans of the thriller/suspense genre would appreciate it - but more than anything else, I am enjoying Kilbey's oozing-with-sex personality/voice and the London setting; all extras are a bonus.

How to Disappear Completely by Myke Bartlett @ Podiobooks.com

0 comments: