Friday, November 13

Currently the deep blue skies soar above me and the winter weather chills my bones, local cuisines vary at a rate of about 5 times a month, once in a while my back hurts because my position is right-angled in a back corner of a car that has achieved a mileage of at least 4000km; currently I have been trying to dodge near-fatal accidents that, mostly, appear to have been directly related to the lack of knowledge about local road rules and signs and, in what is starting to become a large handicap, speaking only English. Nevertheless, the general color of things and that peculiar shade of air manage to be different in almost every country and community so that a brick building in Rotterdam and a brick building in Italy look entirely, worldly different from each other. As such, whenever I predict that my eyes shall tire soon, there will be at least a few days of recuperation, rest and privacy, then, finally, I will not be tempted to roam the area in ever-expanding circles that would gradually lead me out, camera in hand, further and further away from the accommodation, and at such an opportune and blessed moment, I will sit and attempt the tedious task of sorting through mail. And after that, if there is some time, compose a short note on all literary exploits I have so far had.

And so - In Greece, I discovered Mick Jackson in a beautiful wooden home walled with rows and rows of science fiction books, bought mostly at sales and second-hand shops and filled with the long, aged aura of history. In a Zurich squat, I found in a toilet on the third floor, above the soup kitchen, a five-page zine in which was an exposition written by a graphic designer sick of bureaucracy and eager to begin a project that avoids, for once, the itchy tape of rules and law and relies, instead, on initiative and trust. (It worked.)  In Bulgaria, I finally found De Profundis by Oscar Wilde, complete with an introduction; I no longer need to stare at a computer screen if and when I am in the mood for a most bitter, reproachful and yet elegant letter. My delight exceeded me because it was a text that I had always wanted to read and own in a book and to celebrate, we went to the Falafel King. In Belluno, in a bed-and-breakfast tucked away on one of the many rolling green hills of northern Italy, I found a bookshelf in the room under the window, Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. In Belgium, I was introduced for the first time to one of the most enigmatic figures in history I have ever come across - Athanasus Kircher. In Vienna, I scoured the shops in the streets surrounding a university, got lost and took the wrong turn enough times to allow the sun to set so that when I finally found a bookshop, I was happy to buy even a text printed for students by the university press. City of Glass by Paul Auster, a small red book that fit easily into whatever little space I had on my backpack, was my happy companion in train rides across Holland and Germany (whenever I was not sleeping or admiring the view with an envious eye). Right now, in Czech, I have discovered a wonderful gem - The Kon-Tiki Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl. I am only at the third chapter but I need to race back and start reading it!

2 comments:

debbie ding said...

preet!

i dont know how i found my way back to your page, but i havent seen you in so so long! still as passionate about reading eh? glad to hear how the books have kept you good company on your journeys. where have you been all this while! how have you been and where in the world are you now?

M. Bovary said...

hey!

i was in Europe for 3 months but i'm back in in sg now. i've been fine, still reading, still writing, still easily excited by books, etc :)